Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Not Primitive, but Oh So Good!

CHERRY ALMOND SCONE

2c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (could use unsalted butter)
1/3 c. chopped sweet dried cherries
1/4 c. almonds, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp. fresh orange zest
3/4 c. almond milk (could use milk)
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Cut in Earth Balance using a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingers
until it resembles very coarse meal.
Stir in cherries, almonds and orange zest.

Make a well in the center, pour milk and almond extract in the well.
Blend ingredients into a soft, slightly wet dough.

Turn dough onto a well floured surface.
Lightly sprinkle dough with flour.
Pat into a 7 inch circle.
Cut into 8 wedges. (I cut mine into 6 wedges)

Place on un-greased baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.
(I had to bake mine a little longer since my pieces were cut into six wedges.)
They are heavenly!
Enjoy!
Cammie

3 comments:

  1. I am a scone fanatic! These sound so good. I wish I had one right now with a good cup of tea. Thanks for the recipe share!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cammie ~
    Those sound yummy!
    Thanks for sharing (not that I will make them...lol!).
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious....maybe this weekend I will try. Linda

    ReplyDelete